Monday, June 3, 2013

Improving on Man Food

Written by Robin Hartman     Illustrated by Shelly Dowell
Last week I put together a “book” section for this little blog. It consists of books I would like to publish, not books I’ve actually had published …. anyone know an agent? ;-)  The thing is my sister and I came up with this idea to do a cute little funny/snarky illustrated cookbook.  We’ve often made up recipes together and they’ve usually turned out pretty darn good. Apple pecan sticky buns anyone? Sounds amazing right! (I bet they were...I hate sticky buns! haha Everyone else enjoyed them and they smelled divine!). Anyway, I started to go ahead and paint pages for the cookbook but it’s been a few years since I looked at it. When I pulled up the “Man Food” sandwich recipe on my computer I realized the image looked pretty rough. This is going to sound strange, but it made me feel great. I painted a new page and can really tell how much I’ve improved over the last few years. I know the more I paint the better I will get. It’s sort of exciting if you think about it. What will my paintings be like in 10 years?! Will things I find difficult be easy? Will I be faster? Will creativity flow more freely? I can’t wait to see what the future holds! Have any of you experienced this? Have you seen your talents improve? It gives me a feeling of renewal!     


Before
 
After
 Hopefully you can see the improvement. I also thought the page looked cramped so I made it a two pager (the instructions on the second page that I'll finish up tomorrow). Well, I hope you are all haveing a wonderful day...I've been painting and doing laundry. There are only two of us but we still seem to have a ton of laundry. It's almost chilly outside today, but I'm so happy to have the windows open. Even if I do need a sweater. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment